Changing your car insurance policy
An "amendment" is a change made to an existing car insurance policy.
Customers can ask for amendments to be made to their yesinsurance.co.uk insurance policy at any stage. There is no required period of notice, although an amendment cannot be back-dated, and we advise you to give plenty of notice as you may require a new certificate.
Any amendment to a car insurance policy can be made effective immediately, or to become effective within 30 days.
Existing customers should contact us to inform us of any changes to the information on which your car insurance is based prior to the change being required. This includes changes to any of the information detailed on the policy documentation, such as:
- replacing your vehicle with another one
- modifications or non-standard accessories, including changes to the engine, suspension, brakes, body, exhaust or wheels
- the address where any documentation needs to be sent
- the address where the vehicle is usually kept overnight
- persons who will be driving the vehicle
- driving convictions relating to any of the insured drivers, other than fixed-penalty parking offences
- motor accidents, claims or losses of any insured driver
- medical or physical condition changes that affect the ability to drive of any insured driver
- the level of car insurance cover required
- the class of use required
- adding or cancelling Motor Legal Protection or Breakdown Cover
- any other information on which the car insurance is based (i.e. the details you gave when you applied for the insurance).
If we are not informed immediately of any changes to a policy, cover may become invalid. This could result in a customer not being insured, or claims being rejected.
Once we are made aware of the changes, we will assess the new details and adjust the insurance premium if appropriate. Sometimes we are unable to agree to the requested change automatically and the decision will be referred to the relevant insurer. Once the decision is known our customer services team will inform the customer immediately. We will send new policy documentation confirming any changes made to the insurance policy if appropriate.
- If changes are made to a car insurance policy that affects the premium, or additional cover is added such as Motor Legal Protection or Breakdown Cover, an updated Policy Payment Arrangements document will be sent out confirming the new payment details
- If the premium changes and there are remaining instalments, we will adjust the remaining instalments to take account of the premium difference
- If the annual premium was paid in one lump sum, or there are no instalments remaining, we will arrange for a single premium payment or refund where appropriate
- If an amendment is made on a policy which reduces the premium and a new Certificate of Motor Insurance is generated, the old certificate must be returned before we are able to issue any refunds. For example, when a customer calls to remove a named driver from the car insurance policy which results in a reduction of premium, the old certificate with the named driver detailed on it must be returned first.
Note that an administration fee will be payable for any mid-term changes to a car insurance policy that increase the annual premium by £10 or more or reduce it by £20 or more.
No fees apply to any changes made within 14 days of the customer receiving the initial car insurance policy documentation.
Note that we cannot currently process changes to existing insurance policies on-line or via e-mail. Any changes requested via e-mail should not be considered as actioned unless confirmation has been received from a member of our customer services staff, and the appropriate car insurance policy documentation received.